Whitelaw Legal Group are specialist contract lawyers in Burnie, Tasmania.
Contracts are part of everyday life. They come up in all sorts of contexts and circumstances –
- You want to sell or buy goods or services.
- You want to sell or buy a business.
- You want to make a deal with another person or business.
- You want to form a business relationship.
- You want to create an employment relationship.
- You want to engage someone as an independent contractor.
- You want to invest in something.
- You want to purchase some valuable insurance cover.
What could go wrong, if you don't have the right sort of contract or agreement?
- You are exposed to risks and liabilities that you should have been protected from.
- You don't acquire rights and safeguards that you could have acquired.
- The agreement isn't worth the paper it's written on.
- You fail to get the best possible agreement you could have got.
- Neither party is clear on his/her rights and obligations increasing the chance of future disputes.
- You end up paying more than you should have had to pay.
- The outcomes/results fall far short of your expectations and there is nothing you can do.
- The deliverables are too vague and imprecise to be enforced.
- The other party is able to take advantage of you in ways that a good contract would have prevented.
- You fail to protect your valuable intellectual property and allow others to profit from it without you being
- If a dispute breaks out, you are faced with expensive, time consuming and stressful litigation, because your
contract lacked the right suite of clauses to promote fast, effective and efficient out of court options to
manage and resolve the dispute.
Having quality effective lawyer approved contracts in place puts you ahead of the game and gives you peace of
What We Can Do For You –
- Review and advise you regarding any contract you are considering signing.
- Improve and upgrade poorly drafted contracts.
- Draft the right contract to suit your needs.
- Protect your interests and safeguard you from avoidable risks.
- Assist you to resolve contract disputes more quickly and cost effectively using out of court strategies.
Litigation v Non-Litigious dispute resolution options –
Contract disputes argued in court can easily cost each party over $50,000 and sometimes much more.
Litigation can take 1-2 years to complete, including possible appeals.
In contrast, early intervention using alternative dispute management and resolution
techniques and strategies (e.g. assisted negotiation, mediation, conciliation and arbitration) can have disputes
resolved within 8 weeks within a typical cost range of $5,000 -$10,000 shared between the parties.
What we see way too often are clients coming to us with disputes that have been dragging on
for too long, costing them heaps of money and wasted time, disrupting their plans and causing them stress and
inconvenience that could have been avoided if they had a differently drafted contract.
Some people enter into business deals without any written agreement – a recipe for disaster
down the track.
A well drafted contract operates like an insurance policy and will give you peace of mind.
Anything that could go wrong is covered in the contract and your interests are fully protected.
Our Open-Door Policy
Our open-door policy means you can come and see us anytime to discuss your needs, ask your questions and listen
to our up-front guidance without incurring any legal charges. We will present you with a blueprint of how we
believe we can assist you, your best options and cost estimates and let you decide whether or not to engage our
services. Once you make that decision we will prepare our standard client engagement letter and send it out to
you to review. If you are happy with the proposed terms and sign and return it we will get to work for you